Wednesday 7 September 2016

Why you should quit sugar, and how

The past decade has seen a huge emphasis on refined sugar and how bad it is for our health. It's sugar that will make you fat, your teeth rot and mood be all over the show.

Delicious, sweet, sweet sugar.

I already miss you. I feel tired, cranky and the cravings are out of control.
But I am stronger than you, sweet poison. And I'm going to break free from your clutches.
The past decade has seen a huge emphasis on refined sugar and how bad it is for our health. It's sugar that will make you fat, your teeth rot and mood be all over the show.
I'm only a few days into my detox. As a known sugar-addict, it's not easy.
I have told my colleagues to keep me from sweet temptations. One of them kindly took a pack of biscuits offered to me the other day, selflessly ingesting them himself.
I'm not the only one in my office trying to cut out sugar at the moment, a colleague told me his nutritionist advised him to cut sugar, but he's feeling “horrible”.
“I have horrible cravings. I stole someone's Fan Ice today,” he says.
Asked if that means he is failing in his quest, he emphatically says “no!” he has reduced his intake, and can now eat porridge without sugar.
It's hard, he says, and as I grill him on why he's doing it, I am dredging up the cravings.
“I don't think much about it - I want to keep my mind off it.”
It seems to be working, this colleague looks slimmer and tells me he has reduced his meal sizes and doesn't eat at night. Instead of soft drinks he will drink water or tea, and eat fresh fruits, ones lower in sugar.
But what is the point in quitting sugar?
Well, according to Sarah Wilson, the author of I Quit Sugar, it will simply make you feel better. More alive, more awake, slimmer, and in control.
Health-wise, it will make your immune system stronger, reduce the likelihood of developing type 2 diabetes and even lower your risk of cancer.
So, want to join us sugar-quitters in this adventure? Here's some tips to get you going:
Think of what you are gaining, not losing!
Sure you may have to abstain from the office cake, or soft drinks at a party, but with this loss will come better health and increased will-power.
Make a plan
Depending on how hooked you are on sugar, it might be too hard to just go cold turkey, so start by gradually cutting back, maybe instead of a pack of biscuits a day, make it every second day. If you have sugar in your coffee, gradually lessen how much goes in each day.
Replace sugar or sugary foods
Instead of just denying yourself altogether, find a healthy alternative, swap the cake for some mango, the malt for a coconut water, or the sugary ketchup for mayo with sugar-free hot sauce.
Cook for yourself
You don't know what goes into foods when others are cooking for you, so to take charge, start cooking more at home. Things like making your own sauces, stews and even cereal will give you more control over breaking your habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment